Friday, October 8, 2010

NEW YORK TIMES- COMMUNITY 10.08.2010

PIE + DESIGN = CHANGE

By JOHN T. EDGE


PAINTING THE SCENE:

Right off the bat I feel as if I am indulging in the coming of Fall. With descriptive language, the author initially marks the time of year, paints a scene and creates a tone for the article. This tone in my opinion spells out happy, light-hearted, mysterious and delicious.


"On a sun-splashed afternoon in August, blueberry pies and peach pies cooled on wire racks inside PieLab, a white brick cafe with floor-to-ceiling windows on Main Street in Greensboro, Ala."


"If there was any thought that this was just a typical small-town cafe, the blue flag above the front door dispelled the notion. As the fabric rippled in the breeze, the words inscribed at the edges came into view: “Pie & Conversation, Optimism & Design.”"


PRESENTS QUESTION & ANSWER:

I really like it when authors flat-out ask the question that they know you are wondering and provide a answer preceding the question. This makes me as the reader feel as if I am following accordingly because I am wondering in my head the same question. Or it could work in opposite ways and steer a confused reader on track of what they should be thinking.


"How could the baking and serving of pie help tackle entrenched social and economic ills? Project M aimed to answer just such questions..."

PERSUADING:

It might help that I am a graphic designer, but after reading this article I definitely shared it with a few friends encouraging a roadtrip. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment